The Canada Day Together Festival is delighted to add a Canadian-themed Photography Contest to its line-up of featured activities. The Contest will take place in advance of the festival, and photos submitted into the contest will be displayed on a screen throughout the festival.
Please review the Contest Official Rules closely before submitting your photos. In short, the Contest is open to Mississauga students currently enrolled in high school. Prizes amount to $1,000! Submissions must be sent by e-mail at a size of between 2 and 5 MB. Deadline to enter is May 31, 2017.
Congratulations to our winner and nominees!
Under the Tree — Marwan Batais of Ascension of our Lord Secondary School
Catch the Sunset — Saria Lue of Stephen Lewis Secondary School
My Canada — Milena Botelho of Ascension of our Lord Secondary School
Proud Tulips — Sophia Shahin 0f Port Credit Secondary School
Patriotism Planted — Arik Alexander Abraham of Glenforest Secondary School
Thanks to the 37 photographers who submitted a total of 100 entries into the contest!
Contest Official Rules:
This document describes the official rules (“Rules”) of the Canada Day Together Festival Photo Contest organized by the Festival Steering Committee (“Committee”). The object of this contest is, in partnership with local schools, to provide an opportunity for high school students to share their skills and creativity and express themselves through photography in celebration of Canada’s 150th anniversary. Information on eligibility, how to enter and prizing is part of these Rules.
“Entry” means a photograph submitted by the Entrant for this Contest.
“Entrant” means the individual that offers the Entry under the terms of this Contest.
- The Contest is open only to residents of Mississauga who are enrolled as students in a Mississauga secondary school as of May 31, 2017. Generally, this includes persons born between 1999 and 2002 inclusive (but some exceptions may apply). Proof of eligibility may be requested by the Committee.
- Members of the Committee and the judging panel and their immediate family members are not eligible.
The Canada Day Together Festival gratefully acknowledges the sponsorship of Alaa Yousif Real Estate Broker whose generous financial contribution pays for the contest prizes totalling $1,000. The Committee also recognizes the partnership of staff and administrators at local secondary schools who have brought this contest to the attention of their students.
How to Enter
- Initial entries must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The entries must be digital and submitted as high resolution images in .JPG format of a size at least 2 MegaBytes (MB) but no more than 5 MB. See the Submission Guidelines below for further information.
- No more than three (3) Entries may be submitted by any one Entrant. Should an Entrant submit more than three, only the first three Entries will be considered.
- Entries must conform to the Submission Guidelines set out below. Entries which fail to do so will be rejected.
- The deadline for Entries is midnight on May 31, 2017, local time. Time stamp on the receipt of the e-mail will be the determining factor. The Committee will attempt to acknowledge all entries within one week of receipt; however, the Committee is not responsible for entries or responses lost in e-mail.
- There is no fee to enter the Contest.
Submission Guidelines and Additional Information
A goal of the contest is to share Canada-themed photos taken by secondary school students at the Canada Day Together Festival (“Festival”) for the enjoyment of all festival attendees. The photos will be displayed on a screen at the festival. The theme of this contest is “Canada” and submissions will be judged with this broad and wide-ranging theme in mind.
Entries must include metadata if at all possible. Caption information should include:
- Location (name of location with address if possible)
- Description of subject matter
In addition, the Entry must include the following demographic information of the Entrant:
- Postal address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Name of the high school where the Entrant attends.
The Entries must be in digital and submitted as high resolution images in .JPG or .PNG format of a size at least 2 MegaBytes (MB) but no more than 5 MB.
All photographs submitted as Entries into the contest must be taken by the Entrant and are the sole work of that artist only.
There is no set timeframe on the date the photograph was taken. An older image taken by a student currently in high school is eligible.
Entries may not be edited. All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified.
Entries must be photographs; digital or graphic art is not eligible. .
If an Entry include people in the photograph, the Entrant is responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to the Committee upon request.
The winning Entrant will receive:
- A $500 prize.
- An additional $500 prize awarded to the secondary school where the winning Entrant attends.
- Announcement at the 2017 Canada Day Together Festival and introduction as the winning photographer (if available to attend in person).
- In the event the winner is not present at the event the Entrant will be contacted by an email and through his/her school.
Judging and Selection of Winner
- The winning Entry will be selected by a three-member judging panel (“Panel”) consisting of photographers and other artists with expertise in the field. Their decision will be final. No further correspondence shall be entered into.
- With the theme of “Canada” in mind, Entries will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit.
- Judging will take place in advance of the festival and the winner will be announced at the festival, likely between 6 and 7 pm.
- The Panel reserves the right not to select a winner if, in its sole discretion, no suitable Entries are received.
- The Panel or Committee reserve the right to disqualify any Entrant or Entry at their sole discretion. No correspondence shall be entered into.
- The winner will be required to sign a contract assigning all ownership of the photograph to the Committee.
- Accepting the prize constitutes permission for the Committee to make public and otherwise use winner’s name for publicity purposes.
- All Entries must be the original work of the Entrant.
- All Entries may be displayed publicly on the festival web site(s) and partnering organizations’ web sites and social media.
- The Entrant agrees to transfer limited rights and title to the Entry to the Committee in accordance with the Rules of this Contest.
The Entrant will retain all rights to any photograph submitted -- including ownership if applicable.
Notwithstanding the above, all Entries into the Photo Contest grant the Committee a 10-year royalty-free, nonexclusive right to:
- Display the photograph on the festival website and social media platforms.
- Allow third-parties to share the photograph on social media.
- Allow the committees partnering organizations to share the photographs on their respective Social Media platforms and websites.
- Use the photograph on the Internet and in Social Media in support of our mission.
- Use the photograph in the Committee’s internal and external communications materials including but not limited to web sites and web publications, fact sheets, fund raising publications, advertising, multimedia, presentation and membership services, and annual report.
- Use, in connection with the Photo Contest, your name and address in promotions and other publications
- Retain a digital copy of your photograph that will be archived in the Committee’s photo library and internal online photo archive
The Committee will endeavor to credit all photographs with the caption "Person's Name" when the full name is available and where appropriate opportunities exist.
Participation constitutes the Entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Rules. By participating in the Contest, the Entrant is representing and warranting that he/she has read and understood, and agrees to be bound by, these Rules. Including the guides and rules referred to herein, these Rules constitute the entire agreement between the Entrant and the Committee in relation to the Contest. They govern the Entrant’s participation and supersede any prior or other agreements between the Entrant and Committee relating to the Contest.
Additional legal fine print.
Representations and Warranties
By participating in the Contest, the Entrant warrants and represents in connection with the Entry submitted as part of his/her participation in the Contest: (a) he/she is the sole and exclusive owner of (and free of any adverse claim by any person, firm, or corporation) all intellectual property rights in and to the Entry; (b) the Entry is original and the use of the Entry as described in these Official Rules will not infringe the proprietary rights, including without limitation the intellectual property rights, of any third party; (c) the use of the Entry, as described in these Official Rules, will be in compliance with any third-party licenses pertaining to the Entry; (d) the Entry is not obscene or libelous, and does not violate any rights of any third party, including but not limited to rights of privacy or publicity; (e) the Entry does not contain any virus, spyware, malware, trap door, worm, or any other device, mechanism or code that is injurious or damaging to software or hardware used in conjunction with the Entry; (f) the Entry and its use as described in these Official Rules will not violate any federal, provincial or local laws or ordinances; (g) no employer or educational or other establishment has any rights in the Entry; (h) the Entry is consistent with these Official Rules; and (i) he/she has the right to grant the license to the Committee as required in these Official Rules.
When any provision of these Official Rules is found to be invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the parties nevertheless agree that the Court should endeavor to give effect to the intentions of the parties as reflected in the provision, and that the other provisions of these Official Rules remain in full force and effect.
Indemnity; Disclaimer of warranties; Limitation of Liability
By participating in the Contest, the Entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements and all decisions of the Committee. By participating in the Contest, the Entrant agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Committee and its officers, agents, affiliates, contractors, contributors, subsidiaries, licensors and distributors from any and all liability, claims, or actions of any kind, including, without limitation, property damage, personal injury, and/or death, arising out of his/her (i) breach of any representation, warranty or covenant contained in these Official Rules; or (ii) participation in the Contest; (iii) acceptance and/or use or misuse of any prize in connection with the Contest; or (iv) any third party claim relating to any rights in any design submitted.
By participating in the Contest, the Entrant agrees that the Committee is not responsible, and will in no event be held liable, for any: (a) lost, late, illegible, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, corrupted or garbled entries; (b) telephone, computer, or network malfunction or error; (c) communication disruption or other disruptions related to Internet traffic, virus, bug, worm, or non-authorized intervention; or (d) damage caused by a computer virus or otherwise resulting to any computer from the submission of entries. If such malfunction, error, disruption, or damage occurs or impairs the administration, security, fairness, or integrity of the Contest, the Committee may, in its sole discretion, suspend, modify or terminate the Contest by posting a notice on the festival web site. If the Contest is terminated before the scheduled end of the Contest Period, the Committee will determine the winner from all eligible entries received as of the termination date. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest, or whom the Committee believes to be causing or attempting or intending to cause any malfunction, error, disruption, or damage will be disqualified. The Committee reserves the right to disqualify any unauthorized entries, including, without limitation, multiple entries from the same person, or any entries made through robotic, automatic, mechanical, programmed or similar multiple-entry, or entry duplication, method and to disqualify any person or entity using such a method.